The Adult Learning Cycle
Adult learning does not occur until we have gone through 4 very different phases:
If you want to remember something new you have learned and perhaps even change how you do things:
Remind yourself of it:
- Post it somewhere so you will see it each day.
- Put it on your task list to do something about it periodically.
- Tell others of your intention to do something different and ask for their support to remind you.
Think about it:
- Create connections between what you already know and the new stuff.
- Ponder how and when you can apply the new info.
- Consider what you feel strongly about and/or what you disagree with.
- Find out more – research, discuss with others.
Explain it to someone else:
- Teach someone else.
- Demonstrate your new thinking or behavior.
- Expose your new thinking process (walk someone up your ladder).
Try something new:
- Practice your new behavior.
©The Human Factor, Inc. All rights reserved.